News
Motorists Decry Gridlock as Sagamu–Ijebu Ode Road Repairs Drag On

Motorists and commuters have expressed frustration over the slow pace of work on the reconstruction of the Sagamu–Ijebu Ode Expressway, lamenting prolonged gridlock, extortion by hoodlums, and loss of man-hours on the strategic corridor.
The Federal Government, through the Minister of Works, Dave Umahi, flagged off the rehabilitation of the 60-kilometre stretch from the Sagamu Interchange to Itele, on the outskirts of Ijebu Ode, in February. Contractors reportedly moved to site in April, commencing work from the Sagamu Express Junction.
However, four months on, travellers say progress has been sluggish, with only one lane of the dual carriageway partially paved. The situation, they claim, has worsened traffic snarls and road safety.
Joshua Oduneye, a journalist, welcomed the intervention but described the pace as discouraging.
“We are happy President Bola Tinubu listened and ordered the reconstruction, but since April or May, the kilometres covered are not encouraging. The road is terrible, and that has led to accidents and vehicle damage,” he said.
Commercial drivers are also feeling the heat. A Lagos–Ore driver, Olayinka Israel, acknowledged that concrete work takes time but urged faster delivery.
“Yes, it is concrete work, which takes casting and reinforcement, but the government should hasten the process. We are suffering here,” he lamented.
Another commuter, Adedayo Adewale, who works at a private university along the corridor, added:
“I had looked forward to smooth travel when work began, but four months after, the progress has been too slow.”
Treasurer of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) in Sagamu, Segun “Stainless,” noted that traffic often worsens on weekdays.
“Once it’s Monday evening, it can take three hours from Sagamu to the Interchange. The work is okay, but it’s slow,” he said.
Drivers also say the delays are hitting their pockets.
“We burn more fuel in traffic, but passengers refuse to pay more. Sometimes, we spend three hours on this stretch alone,” lamented driver Gbenga Johnson.
Another road user, Seun Ibisesan, alleged that hoodlums were taking advantage of the gridlock to extort drivers, especially truck operators.
Recommended News:
- NUJ Ogun-East Launches Task Force Against Fake News, Quack Journalism
- Hon. Elegbeji Condoles APC National Chairman Nentawe Yilwatda Over Mother’s Death
- SYA Joins Akarigbo, Umahi, Abiodun Other Stakeholders At Official Flag-Off Reconstruction Of Sagamu-Benin Expressway
Government Appeals for Patience
Despite the complaints, some stakeholders urged patience. The NURTW Secretary in the area, Prince Adesina Tijani, said:
“The contractors work Monday to Sunday. We should be patient. We’ll still enjoy the road when it’s done.”
The Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Engr. Olukorede Kesha, blamed the weather for the delays.
“You can’t do concrete or asphalt in the rain. If the foundation isn’t solid, it will fail within a short time,” she explained.
She disclosed that about 4km of the 12km Interchange–Sagamu stretch had been completed since mobilisation, with the project designed to last two years.
The Ogun State Government also defended the process, stressing that the aim was to deliver a permanent fix.
“In the past, palliatives were washed away after the first rain. Now the government wants a lasting solution. This corridor leads to the Gateway International Airport and an industrial layout. It is strategic to the economy of Ogun and Nigeria,” said Kayode Akinmade, Special Adviser to the Governor on Media.
Federal Controller of Works for Ogun State, Engr. M. O. Komolafe, explained that the project was split into two sections — Sagamu Interchange to Iperu-Remo Junction (12km), supervised under Lagos, and Iperu-Remo to Ajebamdele, under Ogun — both being handled by the same contractor.
He assured that the project would not be abandoned.
“The minister has assured that funds are available. The entire stretch will be reinforced concrete and is expected to be completed by August 2028,” Komolafe stated.